1) Arrive on Koh Phangan in plenty of time. Accommodation gets booked up quickly– so do your best to book ahead where possible.
2) Stay on the outskirts of town rather than in the main streets. Countless backpackers have had their rooms broken into during the night – and if you want any sleep, forget it. Staying further afield is also much cheaper, quieter and altogether more relaxing the next day.
3) Don’t take any valuables to the party. Leave cameras, passports and phones at home. Like I said, these parties get wild and when you’ve had a little too much to drink it’s easy for pickpockets to work their magic.
4) Make sure your stuff is locked away in a safe deposit box at your hostel. It’s also worth asking for a receipt to show what was in there, too.
5) Stay in a group. It’s easy to get lost so pick a meeting point that you can all find easily if one of you wanders off.
6) Go steady on the Redbull. The powder form – often found in ‘buckets’ of alcohol – is said to contain the same amount of caffeine as 6 coffees. Mixed with whiskey or vodka, this can have a lethal effect!
7)However drunk you get – don’t attempt to throw yourself through a ring of fire. Burn marks aren’t attractive the next day.
8) Lone travellers need to be extra careful when out and about – especially girls. Don’t get into a taxi alone, wait until there’s a group of you.
9) Write down the name of your hostel – or better still take their business card – so you can show your taxi driver. This avoids confusion and if you’re feeling a little worse for wear as you can just flash it at the driver!
10) Have fun!
Looking for things to do in Thailand? Swim with sharks in Ko Phi Phi – it’s an experience you’ll never forget!