Kota Kinabalu won’t overwhelm you with its beauty, but it’s the gateway to Borneo’s attractions and is a decent place to spend a few days.
KK’s Marine Park and Mount Kinabalu are a short boat/bus ride away, and there are plenty of transport options heading south.
Best things to do in Kota Kinabalu:
– Watch the sunset on the waterfront and enjoy a Happy Hour drink or two!
– Visit the adjacent food market and eat freshly-caught squid for as little as $3.
– Do you PADI Open Water course. We paid 1033 ringgit (360 AUS) with Scuba Junkie. That included 1 day of theory and 2 in the water. Bargain!!
– Visit KK Marine Park, 15 beautiful islands, just a short boat ride from Kota Kinabalu.
– Hit the shops at IMAO (it has H&M and Cotton On! Whoohoo!)